Hi. I’m an assistant professor of economics and management science at Chapman University Argyros School of Business in Orange County, CA. Previously I lectured at MIT and Wellesley College.
I focus on two broad areas of research: (1) using machine learning models to improve managerial decision-making; and (2) understanding the economic and social challenges of platforms and digitization.
I use both predictive methods (applied machine learning and artificial intelligence, in particular computer vision models) and causal inference methods to answer these questions. My research has appeared in business, economics, and general science journals (Management Science, MIS Quarterly, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, World Bank Economic Review) and computer science journals and conferences (Machine Learning with Applications, Conference on Neural Information Processing Systems).
At Chapman I teach courses in machine learning, business analytics and development economics. I am interested in pedagogical methods for delivering the best possible training in these methods. I’m always happy to talk with Chapman University students and faculty, particularly those interested in economic development and/or data science.
Link to SSRN page
Link to Chapman faculty page
- 12.16.22 Selina Carter and I have released a new working paper on Explainable AI and trust. You might like it, check it out.
- 9.19.22 My paper on firm-level benefits to APIs with Seth Benzell and Marshall Van Alstyne was accepted at Management Science!
- 4.24.20 The journal Information Technology for Development has published my paper on open data for algorithms. I think we say something important about the dependency of machine learning systems for public applications.
- 8.14.19 My paper on The Effect of Piracy Website Blocking on Consumer Behavior (joint with Brett Danaher, Mike D Smith, and Rahul Telang) has been accepted at MIS Quarterly. Hooray!
- 1.27.19 I’m late posting this, but my friend Jared Lander of Lander Analytics has posted videos from the NYC R Conference, including my own video summarizing some recent research.
- 1.26.19 New working paper posted: “Car Accidents and 3G Coverage: New Evidence Using Cell Phone Tower Construction” (with Matt Lang and Bree Lang).
- 11.8.18 New draft posted of the article “Effect of Website Blocking on Consumer Behavior” (with Brett Danaher, Michael D. Smith and Rahul Telang)
- 8.14.18 New draft posted of article forthcoming in IZA World of Labor “Big Data in Economics“
- 4.18.18 CEGA/World Bank have posted a video of my presentation from AI for Economic Development.
- 1.3.18 Just in time for ASSAs, I’ve posted some very subjective but hopefully helpful job market advice for the young PhD economist on the market.
- 12.20.17 A new draft of my “Poverty from Space” paper is available as a World Bank Policy Research Working Paper.