Hi. I’m an assistant professor of economics and management science at Chapman University Argyros School of Business in Orange County, CA. Previously I lectured at MIT and Wellesley College.
My research interests include the economics of information systems, development economics, economics of digitization, applied artificial intelligence and machine learning, data-driven decision making, and the impact of information technology on society and firms.
I received my PhD in economics at Boston University. I’ve also worked with the World Bank, the Inter-American Development Bank, the International Monetary Fund, and various firms on how to use machine learning to improve management processes. I still on occasion lecture on statistical and data science for the World Band and IDB.
At Chapman I teach courses in machine learning, statistics, and business analytics with an emphasis on applications for businesses. I am interested in pedagogical methods for delivering the best possible training in these methods. I’m always happy to talk with Chapman University students and faculty, particularly those interested in development and/or data science. If you’ve got a thorny data problem I’m probably someone you want to talk to.
Link to Chapman faculty page
- 1.27.19 I’m late posting this, but my friend Jared Lander of Lander Analytics has posted videos from the NYC R Conference, including my own video summarizing some recent research.
- 1.26.19 New working paper posted: “Car Accidents and 3G Coverage: New Evidence Using Cell Phone Tower Construction” (with Matt Lang and Bree Lang).
- 11.8.18 New draft posted of the article “Effect of Website Blocking on Consumer Behavior” (with Brett Danaher, Michael D. Smith and Rahul Telang)
- 8.14.18 New draft posted of article forthcoming in IZA World of Labor “Big Data in Economics“
- 4.18.18 CEGA/World Bank have posted a video of my presentation from AI for Economic Development.
- 1.3.18 Just in time for ASSAs, I’ve posted some very subjective but hopefully helpful job market advice for the young PhD economist on the market.
- 12.20.17 A new draft of my “Poverty from Space” paper is available as a World Bank Policy Research Working Paper.
Recent and Upcoming Conference and Presentation Schedule
December 18-17, 2018: Workshop on Information Systems and Economics, San Francisco, CA
June 17-20, 2018: INFORMS International, Taipei
June 18-19, 2018: Statistical Challenges in Electronic Commerce Research, Rotterdam, Netherlands
May 11, 2018: ESOC Annual, Washington DC
April 19, 2018: New York R Conference, New York
March 10, 2018: PacDev, Davis, CA
March 1, 2018: Artificial Intelligence for Development, CEGA/World Bank DIME, Berkeley, CA
January 11-12, 2018: 11th Digital Economies Conference, TSE, Toulouse, France
January 4-7, 2018: ASSA, Philadelphia, PA
December 18, 2017: Advances in Prediction for Prevention, Barcelona, Spain
December 8, 2017: NIPS, Machine Learning for the Developing World, Long Beach, CA
November 6, 2017: University of California at Riverside, Riverside, CA
October 30, 2017: Penn State Economics, Trade and Development Seminar, State College, PA
September 26, 2017: University of Southern California Economics, Los Angeles, CA
September 6-7, 2017: CEGA Geo4Dev, Berkeley, CA