Work in Progress
- Selina Carter & Jonathan Hersh. (2021). Will AI Accelerate the Intra-Firm Digital Divide? Evidence from a Field Experiment on How Managers use Explainable AI
Papers With Editorial Decisions
- Seth Benzell, Jonathan Hersh, & Marshall Van Alstyne. (2021). How APIs Create Growth by Inverting the Firm
- 2nd round revisions requested at Management Science
- Jonathan Hersh & Hans-Joachim Voth. (2018). Sweet Diversity: Overseas Trade and Gains from Variety after 1492, with Hans-Joachim Voth.
- 2nd round revisions requested at Explorations in Economic History
- Brett Danaher & Jonathan Hersh. (2020). Whom Should Antipiarcy Enforcement Actions Target? Evidence from the MegafilmesHD Shutdown in Brazil
- Under review
Publications in Peer-Reviewed Journals
- Jonathan Hersh, Bree Lang, & Matthew Lang. Car Accidents, Smartphone Adoption and 3G Coverage, forthcoming, Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization
- (6) Ryan Engstrom, Jonathan Hersh, & David Newhouse. (2021). Poverty from Space: Using High Resolution Satellite Imagery for Estimating Economic Well-being, The World Bank Economic Review; lhab015, https://doi.org/10.1093/wber/lhab015
- (5) Hannes Mueller, Andre Groger, Jonathan Hersh, Andrea Matranga, & Joan Serrat. (2021). Analyzing Conflict From Space: Identification of Physical Destruction During the Syrian Civil War with Artificial Intelligence Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, June 8, 2021 118 (23) e2025400118;https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.2025400118
- (4) Jonathan Hersh, Ryan Engstrom, & Michael Mann, (2020). Open data for algorithms: mapping poverty in Belize using open satellite derived features and machine learning. Information Technology for Development, 1-30.
- (3) Brett Danaher, Jonathan Hersh, Michael D. Smith, & Rahul Telang R. (2020). The Effect of Piracy Website Blocking on Consumer Behavior MIS Quarterly, 44:2
- (2) Matthew Harding and Jonathan Hersh. Big Data in Economics (2018), IZA World of Labor
- (1) Brian Bettenhausen, Eric Hanss, Jonathan Hersh, and Carlos Villarreal. Historical Health Conditions in Major US Cities: The HUE Data Set Historical Methods, (2014) 47: 67-80.
Peer-Reviewed Conference Proceedings
- Poverty Mapping Using Convolutional Neural Networks Trained on High and Medium Resolution Satellite Images, With an Application in Mexico (with Boris Babenko, David Newhouse, Anusha Ramakrishnan, and Tom Swartz) Proceedings of the Neural Information Processing Systems 2017.
- Engstrom, R., Newhouse, D., Haldavanekar, V., Copenhaver, A., & Hersh, J. (2017, March). Evaluating the Relationship Between Spatial and Spectral Features Derived from High Spatial Resolution Satellite Data and Urban Poverty in Colombo, Sri Lanka. In Urban Remote Sensing Event (JURSE), 2017 Joint (pp. 1-4). IEEE.
Resting Working Papers
- Unintended Consequences of the African Growth and Opportunity Act: The Role of Trade Diversion and Structural Change (with Klaus-Peter Hellwig)”
- [draft available upon request]
- Building a better model: Variable selection to predict poverty in Pakistan and Sri Lanka (with Marium Afzal and David Newhouse)”