- Selina Carter & Jonathan Hersh. (2022). Explainable AI Helps Bridge the AI Skills Gap: Evidence from a Large Bank
- Revising for submission to Information Systems Research
- Brett Danaher & Jonathan Hersh. (2020). Whom Should Antipiracy Enforcement Actions Target? Evidence from the Mega filmes HD Shutdown in Brazil
- Revising for submission to Journal of Management Information Systems
Publications in Peer-Reviewed Journals
- (11) Seth Benzell, Jonathan Hersh, & Marshall Van Alstyne. (2022). How APIs Create Growth by Inverting the Firm, Forthcoming, Management Science
- (10) Shima Nabiee, Matthew Harding, Jonathan Hersh, and Nader Bagherzadeh. (2022) Hybrid U-Net: Semantic segmentation of high-resolution satellite images to detect war destruction. Machine Learning with Applications, 9, 100381.
- (9) Jonathan Hersh and Joachim Voth. (2022) Sweet Diversity: Overseas Trade and Gains from Variety after 1492. Explorations in Economic History, 101468.
- (8) Jonathan Hersh, Bree Lang, & Matthew Lang. (2022) Car accidents, smartphone adoption and 3G coverage. Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, 196, 278-293.
- (7) Ryan Engstrom, Jonathan Hersh, & David Newhouse. (2021). Poverty from Space: Using High Resolution Satellite Imagery for Estimating Economic Well-being, The World Bank Economic Review; lhab015, https://doi.org/10.1093/wber/lhab015
- (6) Hannes Mueller, Andre Groger, Jonathan Hersh, Andrea Matranga, & Joan Serrat. (2021). Analyzing Conflict From Space: Identification of Physical Destruction During the Syrian Civil War with Artificial Intelligence Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, June 8, 2021 118 (23) e2025400118;https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.2025400118
- (5) Jonathan Hersh, Ryan Engstrom, & Michael Mann, (2020). Open data for algorithms: mapping poverty in Belize using open satellite derived features and machine learning. Information Technology for Development, 1-30.
- (4) Brett Danaher, Jonathan Hersh, Michael D. Smith, & Rahul Telang R. (2020). The Effect of Piracy Website Blocking on Consumer Behavior MIS Quarterly, 44:2
- (3) Matthew Harding & Jonathan Hersh. (2018). Big Data in Economics IZA World of Labor
- (2) Boris Babenko, Jonathan Hersh, David Newhouse, Anusha Ramakrishnan, & Thomas Swartz. Poverty Mapping Using Convolutional Neural Networks Trained on High and Medium Resolution Satellite Images, With an Application in Mexico, Neural Information Processing Systems Workshop on Machine Learning for the Developing World (NeurIPS 2017)
- (1) Brian Bettenhausen, Eric Hanss, Jonathan Hersh, & Carlos Villarreal. (2014). Historical Health Conditions in Major US Cities: The HUE Data Set Historical Methods, 47: 67-80.
Work in Progress
- Seth Benzell, Jonathan Hersh, and Marshall Van Alstyne. Do Startups Invert? API Networks and Startup Exits
- Luis Alberro, Joshua Anderson, Jonathan Hersh, Tina George, and Kushal Kumar Reddy. (2022). A Scalable Solution to the Facility Location Problem in Data Poor Environments.
- (2) Jonathan Hersh, Lucia Martin Rivero, & Janelle Leslie. (May, 2021). Where are the unbanked in Belize? Using Machine Learning small area estimation to improve Financial Inclusion geographic targeting Inter-American Development Bank Monograph, May 2021 http://dx.doi.org/10.18235/0003381
- (1) Jonathan Hersh, Ryan Engstrom, Michael Mann, Alejandra Mejia, & Lucia Martin Rivero. (May, 2020). Mapping Income Poverty in Belize Using satellite Features and Machine Learning Inter-American Development Bank Monograph, May 2020 http://dx.doi.org/10.18235/0002345
Resting Working Papers
- Unintended Consequences of the African Growth and Opportunity Act: The Role of Trade Diversion and Structural Change (with Klaus-Peter Hellwig)”
- [draft available upon request]
- Building a better model: Variable selection to predict poverty in Pakistan and Sri Lanka (with Marium Afzal and David Newhouse)”